Before taking the plunge to relocate your business, there are some essential things you need to think about. Before, during, and after the move, you will be aiming for minimal disruption. Whether you’re moving across town or to a new city, planning, preparation, and communication is vital. Although moving offices is a challenging task, you can take a few steps to keep things running smoothly and on time. Here’s a handy guide to help you make a move without unnecessary stress.
Step One – Create a team
Put together a planning team of staff who is responsible for delegating the moving process. This way, you will eliminate the possibility of chaos and disorganization on moving day. Each group should be held accountable for a specific moving task.
The planning team priorities
- To decide on packing procedures and layout.
- To draft directions to the new location, including instructions on parking.
- Put together a “moving pack” for each staff member, including their allocated desk number, color code, and information about the new location.
- To decide which representatives will stay at the current location until the last moving truck has left, and who will be going to the new site to supervise.
- Arrange for each department to empty and pack or seal their filing cabinets etc.
- To ensure that keys, access codes or tags, and security information is all available.
Step Two – Communication
Once you’ve decided to move, it’s essential to let internal and external parties know about your upcoming relocation.
- Notify your current landlord and property manager, and give official notice.
- Notify all your team members of the moving date and new office address.
- Start a master list of people you need to send a change of address.
- Ensure that your client list and service provider list is up to date.
- Make a reservation with your chosen moving company.
- Notify local partners, affiliates, and suppliers about the upcoming move, especially those affected by your change of address and contact information.
Step Three – Preparation
Now is the time to consider the logistics of moving your entire office from one space to another.
- Request for a detailed floor plan of your new property.
- Unpack all document cabinets to avoid having to move over heavy objects.
- Measure the new office space and plan how you are going to lay things out.
- Create an inventory of existing equipment and office furniture.
- Arrange external storage facilities if required. Master movers have storage space for you.
Need a moving company?
Need help with a business relocation? You’ve come to the right place–we’re in the business of moving! Master Movers offer all kinds of moving services, from residential moving to international moves to storage and more. We can also help with workplace business relocation and all the logistics that go along with it.
Executing a move for an entire office can be inconvenient. However, with Master movers, we offer creative solutions to any problems you encounter. We can come out to do a site survey or even do a virtual survey to support social distancing.
We’re here to help remove the stress of your workplace relocation, so don’t hesitate to contact us today.